Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Day 9

A while back, mangoes were 3/99cents, and we got six of them. We ate five of them in no time flat, and the sixth one has just been sitting there, ripening (we bought a couple that were still green).

I guess that fifth one gave us mango burnout or something, because this morning, I just couldn't bring myself to want to eat that mango. Little Bit didn't want it either. (Hubby worked nights and was sleeping.) So, I cut it up, squeezed as much of the juice away from the seed as I could, and put the pieces and juice into some ice cube trays.
Photobucket

Some morning down the road, it will be delicious in a smoothie, and this way, it is not wasted. It's just one mango, but it's also the sort of thing that we can do regularly to make sure we're not throwing money away by wasting food.

We didn't do any shopping today - we stayed home and worked on projects around the house.

Meals today:

B - scones or muffins, fresh fruit, milk

L - leftovers, including meatballs, garlic/cheese bread, cornmeal coated zucchini and onions, green beans

S - I made biscuits and sausage gravy and scrambled eggs, but Little Bit didn't want eggs and neither did I...so we had some steamed potatoes and green salad, with just one biscuit and a little of the gravy (I don't think she even had the gravy).

Snacks - ginger senbei (a tea cookie, gift from my in-laws) with cherry ice cream

No comments:

Post a Comment